luke 9:28 36 explanationcoolant reservoir empty but radiator full

The prophecy of the Old Testament is realized in the presence of Moses and Elijah. When Moses asked to see Gods glory, God replied, You cannot see my face, for man may not see me and live (Exodus 33:20)but God continued, Behold, there is a place by me, and you shall stand on the rock. This post is excerpted from The Testimony of Luke, by S. Kent Brown, 472-482. A few verses later, at 9:51, Luke writes that Jesus set his face to go to Jerusalem, where all that has been spoken of will take place for him. For all of us, let us seek to know the glory of God that we might experience the wonder and awe and fear of knowing him. Let us make three tents, one for you and one for Moses and one for Elijahnot knowing what he said. Jesus was fully divine yet fully human. Luke helps us to know that proclaiming the good This feature, which is also present in Matthews account (Matthew 17:2), is missing in Marks account, in which it is said only that Jesus was transfigured (Mark 9:2). She laughed and said, Oh, he just needs a little time every once in a while to be alone with God. She said hed go backpacking on horseback in the mountains of New Mexico. Moses came to set the people of Israel free from slavery in Egypt. And was transfigured before them: and his face shone as the sun, and his garments became white as the light.3. In this one, they are groggy but sufficiently awake to see what was happening. 3. In that instance, they will actually fall asleep. Luke says, his clothing became white and dazzling 18-20)and that they will also suffer and die (vv. 29 And while he was praying, the appearance of his face changed, and his clothes became dazzling white. The point is that Gods glory is so overwhelming that humans arent engineered to be capable of experiencing it. May we meditate on the reality of this passage. But there is something glorious, something heavenly that awaits them. Your ministry keeps me up to date. Jesus was glorified, changed from a mere mortal into a glorified, heavenly state. The disciples will neither listen well nor carry out their tasks faithfullyuntil after the resurrection. This is more a theological than a geographical statement. 9:30 Suddenly they saw two men, Moses and Elijah, talking to him. but when they were fully awake, they saw his glory, and the two men who stood with him (v. 32b). To glimpse his majesty and power. The family lineage depends on this child. WebCommentary for Luke 9 . This, however, also seems unlikely.). They will argue about which one of them is the greatest (9:46-48). 1. Luke 9:28-36 - Center for Excellence in Preaching Not for nothing are they called Mountaintop Experiences! Jesus is Gods beloved Son. WebThe transfiguration (Matthew 17:1-13; Mark 9:2-13; Luke 9:28-36) Jesus transfiguration took place on a high mountain, possibly Mount Hermon, which was not far from Caesarea Philippi. 34 As he was saying these things, a cloud came and overshadowed them, and they were afraid as they entered the cloud. And heres a warning: If any of us have not believed in Jesus Christ, we should tremble. Luke says they were afraid when the cloud came upon them (Luke 9:34). God the Father and his Son and even the angels have a glory about them. Used by permission. That Jesus perhaps needed this boost is testament to his true humanity. It took me a while to pick up on his pattern, and when I did, I asked his wife what was going on. The two festivals complement each other in striking ways. (28-36) An evil spirit cast out. Know this: The closer you walk with God, the brighter your path will be. They are afraid. 29 And as he prayed, the fashion of his countenance was altered, and his raiment was white and glistering. Luke 9:28-36 Commentary. And because his emphasis is upon the humanity of Jesus, and one of the greatest needs Luke 9:26 ESV For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words, of him will the Son of Man be ashamed when he comes in his glory and the glory of the Father and of the holy angels. The ASV, which is also in the public domain due to expired copyrights, was a very good translation, but included many archaic words (hast, shineth, etc. Our bodies must be transformed. And just like that, it was over. To be confronted by him. His face was altered. He is beyond us and greater than us in every way imaginable. 43They were all astonished at the majesty of God. scatter all my unbelief; It is also referred to in 2 Peter 1:18. 35B (Dallas: Word Books, 1993), Pervo, Richard I., and Carl, William J. III, Proclamation 2, Epiphany, Series C (Philadelphia: Fortress Press, 1979), Ringe, Sharon H., Westminster Bible Companion, Luke (Louisville: Westminster John Knox Press), Rohr, Richard, The Good News According to Luke: Spiritual Reflections (New York: The Crossroad Publishing Company, 1997), Stein, Robert H., The New American Commentary: Luke (Nashville: Broadman Press, 1992), Tannehill, Robert C., Abingdon New Testament Commentaries: Luke (Nashville: Abingdon, 1996), Copyright 2007, 2010, Richard Niell Donovan, The Son of Man must suffer many things, and be rejected by the elders, chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and the third day be raised up, be killed, and on the third day be raised up, suffer many things, and be rejected by the elders, chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and the third day be raised up, Faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you and bear with you? WebLuke 9:28 And it came to pass, about an eight days after those sayings About a week after he had declared the above things, at, or near to Caesarea Philippi. Jesus is preparing His disciples and telling them that it is necessary for the Son of Man to suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and be killed and then raised up on the third day. Do you know one who is sorry for having listened? triumph oer the shades of night; Commentary on Luke 9:28-36 [37-43] Lukes disciples need a revelatory experience in order to appreciate Jesus true identity and vocation. Click here to listen to this lesson. Listen to him.. His brilliance and majesty is so beyond us that we wont know what to do when confronted with him, and we will fall apart. Lets make three tents: one for you, and one for Moses, and one for Elijah, not knowing what he said. that he took with him Peter, John, and James (v. 28b). The accounts in the Gospels of Matthew and Luke are drawn from Marks, but there are some significant differences among them. Now Peter and those who were with him were heavy with sleep (v. 32a). I am come unto Mine own and Mine own receive Me not; I am become a stranger unto My brethren, an alien to My mother's children: Consider Mine enemies, for they are many, and they hate Me with cruel hatred. Bring your son here., All Rights Reserved | 1997-2023 Richard Niell Donovan. WebLuke 9:28 Context Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers (28-36) And it came to pass.--See Notes on Matthew 17:1-13, and Mark 9:2-13. In other words, long about the time Jesus could use all the support he could get, the disciples are simply unavailable to him in any meaningful way. What he says about discipleship is also to be heeded. Mountaintop experiences are important, but theyre not meant to last forever. This moment had a huge impact on his faith, strengthening his confidence that Jesus truly was the Christ sent from heaven. Luke 1:4 that you may have certainty of what you have been taught.. They said it was as if a ring of light encircled her face. The Greek word that Matthew and Mark use is basically our word, metamorphosis. It means to be transformed. he took Peter, and John, and James; the same that he admitted to be with him at the raising of Jairus's daughter, and in the garden afterwards: and went up into a mountain to pray; to his God and Father, that his disciples might have a visible display of his glory, as an emblem and pledge of that in which he shall hereafter appear: it was usual with Christ to go up into a mountain to pray; Matthew 14:23. Peter will refer to it as the holy mountain (2 Peter 1:18). And it speaks to us what Christ did a few months later in his death, resurrection, and ascension into heaven. Third, how can it be, following on one of the most dazzling visual spectacles that ever took place on this planet, that the bottom line from God the Father is Listen to him. Listen? Plus, weve got this little voice deep down inside of us that keeps telling us how important we are and how the world might fall apart if we werent here to keep it running smoothly. Or as Buechner put it, Even with us something like this happens once in a while. Christ has transformed more lives than we can count. As inner prayer, you pray a simple, repeated Listen to him! (v. 35). But other times he swings at the pitch, completely whiffs, and strikes out. If weve taken any biology class, weve heard of this word. Achtemeier, Paul J. and Elizabeth R., Proclamation, Epiphany, Series C (Philadelphia: Fortress Press, 1973), Barclay, William, The Daily Study Bible, The Gospel of Luke (Edinburgh: Saint Andrew Press, 1953), Bock, Darrell L., The IVP New Testament Commentary Series: Luke, Vol. Web74. Yet we are told that for a time during this epiphany of glory, the disciples were sleepy! Perhaps intimidating. Now he selects an inner circle of disciples to go with him, thus signaling the importance of the journey up the mountain. WebLuke 9:1-50 contain sundry particulars which together form the closing scenes of the Galilean ministry: the mission of the Twelve, the feeding of the thousands, the conversation on the Christ and the Frederick Brotherton Meyer's Commentary. WebBethsade : Marc 8:22-26 [19] inclut le rcit de la gurison de "l'aveugle de Bethsade" [20]. Im convinced every one of us would have responded similarly. There is the voice from heaven, declaring that Jesus is Gods Son, recalling the same declaration at his baptism (3:22), followed by the saying that the disciples are to listen to Jesus (9:35). The first is that Luke alone provides the content of the conversation between Jesus, Moses, and Elijah (on which comment is made below). My wife and a few friends are reading a book trying to describe the grandness and majesty and transcendence of God. To me, its one of the more remarkable biological events. 2 Peter 1:1618 ESV For we did not follow cleverly devised myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty. The fireworks have ended. To look on Gods face is to die (Exodus 33:20). The voice from the cloud interrupts so that Jesus never responds directly to Peters suggestion to build booths. An analogy might be coming into contact with a live high-voltage electrical line. For a few days, hed live on beef jerky and chewing tobacco. 29As he was praying, the appearance of his face was altered, and his clothing became white and dazzling. Have you ever known anyone like that? Jesus himself metamorphosed into some radically different. Or Isaiah the prophet who, in Isaiah 6, had this heavenly vision of God in full display of his glory and majesty. Listen to him! There is a sermon in these words. There are many speculations why these two men appeared. 29 As he was praying, They went up onto the mountain to pray, and great things happened. Scripture says. Prayer is a transfiguring, transforming duty, which makes the face to shine. WebThe Pulpit Commentary - Luke 7:46. Metamorphosis is when an ugly, crawly creature like a caterpillar undergoes a complete transformation and comes out radically different. I love Peter. The voice from the cloud says that we can always trust JesusListen to him!, We say, But Jesus is too idealistic to understand the bare-knuckles world in which I live! The voice says, Listen to him!, We say, Later, perhaps, but I have other things to do right now! The voice says, Listen to him!, We say, But I am not sure that I truly believe. The voice says, Listen to him!. Listen to him! 36When the voice came, Jesus was found alone. And as he prayed, the fashion of his countenance was Its honestly hard to explain and understand. This is simply the contrast of the smallness of our humanity before the might and power and glory of Almighty God, Creator of heaven and earth. WebLuke 9:28-36, (37-43a) 9:28 Now about eight days after these sayings Jesus took with him Peter and John and James, and went up on the mountain to pray. All that Peter taught and wrote about for more than 3 decades was founded upon eyewitness experiences he and the other apostles had. Mark 14:33 and Matt 26:37 tell us that they will also be present at Gethsemane. 30 And, behold, there talked with him two men, which were Moses and Elias: 31 Who appeared in glory, and As Moses led the Israelites in the wilderness, God told him to build booths in which the people would dwell for seven days (Leviticus 23:33-43). In you I am well pleased (3:22). There will be a time to speak, but they are not yet ready for the witness that they will bear a few weeks later in Jerusalem (Acts 1-2). There was no reason, therefore, that He should Luke 9:28 - G. Campbell Morgan's Exposition on the Whole Bible As He sent His apostles out, He gave them power and authority. one for you, and one for Moses, and one for Elijah (Luke 9:33). And we get a lot of positive reinforcement for being responsible, predictable and easy to get a hold of. When Jesus commanded them to feed a great crowd, they responded, We have no more than five loaves and two fish, unless we should go and buy food for all these people (9:13). SCRIPTURE QUOTATIONS are from the World English Bible (WEB), a public domain (no copyright) modern English translation of the Holy Bible. (1-2) Jesus calls them and sends them forth. Alarming. In the Gospel of Matthew, Jesus told his disciples, Then the righteous will shine forth like the sun in the Kingdom of their Father (Mt. All three of the Synoptics place the Transfiguration immediately after Jesus first passion pronouncement, emphasizing that the one who willbe killed, and on the third day be raised up (v. 22) is not a random victim of violence, but is the Son of God carrying out Gods plan (v. 35). They cannot encourage Jesus to stick with what they dont understand (and would resist if they did understand it). Later, at Jesus ascension, a cloud will take Jesus out of their sight (Acts 1:9also written by Luke). 29. This is my Son, my Chosen One. In nature, metamorphosis is astonishing. And, lo, there appeared to them [473] Moses and Elijah talking with him.4. Moreover, the disciples of Jesus are to listen to him. Jesus has come to reveal God and redeem humanity. (10-17) Peter's testimony to Christ, Self-denial enjoined. And yet, wed all do well to spend a little time on a mountaintop every once in a while. WebMatthew Henry's Commentary on Luke 9:28-36 In this chapter we have, I. They are actually real. Moses and Elijah. 29 And while he was praying, the appearance of his face changed, and his clothes became dazzling white. The World English Bible is based on the American Standard Version (ASV) of the Bible, the Biblia Hebraica Stutgartensa Old Testament, and the Greek Majority Text New Testament. shining to the perfect day.. Peter is an action-man! His glory shinedfor those with eyes to seejust as brightly when he talked to lonely prostitutes and outcast lepers, when he saved wayward tax collectors and offered forgiveness to people who had never heard a forgiving syllable their whole lives long up to that point. To see Gods glory provokes an intense response. 7 After he had finished all his sayings in the hearing of the people, b he entered Capernaum. Luke 9:28-36. 19-20). ), which the WEB has updated. To be glorified here on the mountain, and to talk about his coming suffering in Jerusalem may have given the Lord Jesus strength for his days ahead strength facing this unimaginable human suffering. WebMatthew 17:1-8. 30 Suddenly they saw two men, Moses and Elijah, talking to him. Perhaps Luke is tying the Transfiguration to the resurrection, which occurs on the eighth daythe day after the Sabbath. 13:43), And in his Letter to the Ephesians, Paul writes, Awake, you who sleep, and arise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you. (Eph. Prayer is a Metamorphosis. That Jesus did indeed go on to suffer and die is testament to his true divinity. Shortly before the Transfiguration, Jesus revealed to the disciples that The Son of Man must suffer many things, and be rejected by the elders, chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and the third day be raised up (9:22). But the disciples could have had no such visual associations with either Moses or Elijah. For this section, compare Matt. 9:29 And while he was praying, the appearance of his face changed, and his clothes became dazzling white. All that is within Luke 9:31-33 is distinctive. This word, exodon, provides another parallel with Moses, who led the Exodus from Egypt. Web28 And it came to pass about an eight days after these sayings, he took Peter and John and James, and went up into a mountain to pray. When we see God in all his glory, we will be shaken to the core. First Reading Commentary on Exodus 34:29-35 Moses countenance glows Bring your son here. 42While he was still coming, the demon threw him down and convulsed him violently. Mark 9:6 says, he did not know what to say, for they were terrified., We might say he was out of his mind. Some of us might relate to this. To me it defies explanation. 28 Now about eight days after these sayings he took with him Peter and John and James and went up on the mountain to pray. We know from Matthews and Marks Gospels Jesus told them to tell no one until after the resurrection. They confirm that this is the will of God for him. They will fail to heal a boy with a demon (9:37-43). A thousand sparks to inspire you and your congregation! It happened, as they were parting from him, that Peter said to Jesus, Master, it is good for us to be here. Jesus was crucified on Mount Calvary and ascended into heaven from the Mount of Olives. Does the radiance of God sparkle in your eyes? This answers the question, Who is this?not by giving Jesus a title but by describing the process by which he will accomplish his work. Not for nothing are they called Mountaintop Experiences! 2. WebLuke 9:28-36, (37-43) Commentary by Scott Shauf The transfiguration of Jesus follows immediately on the scene where Peter confesses Jesus to be the Christ, the Messiah (Luke 9:20). First, how in the world did the disciples come close to sleeping through this thing? Neither do Peter, John, or James offer an explanation. Its not what I expected to hear the Father say! (18-27) The transfiguration. (Nashville: Abingdon, 1995), Evans, Craig A., New International Biblical Commentary: Luke (Peabody, MA, Hendrickson Publishers, Inc., 1990), Farris, Stephen, in Van Harn, Roger (ed. Teri McDowell Otts lectionary reflections are sent to the Outlooks email list every Monday. Lectionary Reflections Luke 9:28-36 February 10, 2013. . However it all happened, Luke alone tells us that these two showed up to encourage Jesus, to remind him that they, too, along with all the hosts of heaven were gearing up for the fulfillment of everything God had been aiming to accomplish ever since sin and evil showed up in this creation to sully Gods good intentions. But the subject matter of their conversation is clear: They spoke of Jesus departure and what he would accomplish in Jerusalem.. Maybe this reminds us, as we in this Year C Lectionary cycle are on the cusp of the Season of Lent, that we need to listen really closely to what Jesus says from the cross whenhaving given the last full measure of his own devotion to this broken worldhe cries out, It is accomplished!. They went up onto the mountain to pray (v. 28c). From the looks of the text, it would not be an unwarranted leap to think these three did not tell even the other nine disciples what had taken place. He places great hope in Jesus. We see that yet today. (Nashville: Abingdon, 1952), Green, Joel B., The New International Commentary on the New Testament: The Gospel of Luke (Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1997), Hendriksen, William, New Testament Commentary: Luke (Grand Rapids: Baker Book House, 1978), Nickle, Keith F., Preaching the Gospel of Luke (Louisville: Westminster John Knox, 2000), Nolland, John, Word Biblical Commentary: Luke 9:2118:34, Vol. The contrast between the mountaintop and the base of the mountain could not be sharper. Commentary on Luke 9:28-36 [37-43] The transfiguration of Jesus follows immediately on the scene where Peter confesses Jesus to be the Christ, the Messiah (Luke 9:20). 35A voice came out of the cloud, saying, This is my beloved Son. One you try to capture with a camera. That chapter is all about the resurrection. For Moses died 1400 years earlier, and Elijah was taken into heaven 800 years earlier, and here they are now in front of Peter, James, and John alive and in glory. And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, and James, and John his brother, and leadeth them to a high mountain apart; 2. So whats up with that? This passage in Hebrews is startling to me. More importantly, it marked a renewal of Gods covenant with Israel. These three disciples were present at the healing of Jairus daughter (8:51). 28 Now about eight days after these sayings he took with him Peter and John and James and went up on the mountain to pray. While he was praying, Jesus was transformed before the disciples eyes. How many broken hearts and broken lives could be avoided if we would just listen to him! No restraint! For though he is glorious and transcendent, he is tender and merciful, and he longs to save our souls through his Son, Jesus. Amen. In religious art, saints are often depicted with a circle behind their faces sort of like a disk or pie plate. Luke describes Peter as not knowing what he said (v. 33). Commentators have long pointed out that Moses represented the Sinai Covenant/Law (as well as the Exodus) and that Elijah represented the prophetic voice of the Old Testament as well as Gods covenant faithfulness in sending servants to continue speaking to and ministering to even a wayward Israel. The Exodus from Egypt was the great salvation event of the OT, freeing Israel from bondage to the Egyptians. The other gospels suggest that this took place six days later. Its real. The voice from the cloud speaks only of Jesusnot of Moses or Elijahand does so only after Moses and Elijah depart. 30 Suddenly they saw two men, It was a thanksgiving celebration. The Jewish people expect Moses and Elijah to return to usher in the messianic era. While he was still coming, the demon threw him down and convulsed him violently (v. 42a). Spiritual. We can go home today and live for Jesus and work for him because its all true. Luke 9:28-36 Transfiguration of the Lord You can tell when someone is really listening to you, writes Amanda Ripley in High Conflict: Why We Get Trapped and How We Get Out.. As a journalist, Amanda listens to people for a living. Probably, he just wants to do something. In the Gospels, he is bold and outspoken. We should read the Scriptures and be in prayer with a hungry sense of wonder. 31 who appeared in glory and spoke of his departure, which he was about to accomplish at Jerusalem. And while this looks a little one-dimensional compared to the computer-generated graphics were so accustomed to, its meant to represent their holiness. 38Behold, a man from the crowd called out, saying, Teacher, I beg you to look at my son, for he is my only child. A cool one. Here we have Jesus at the top of the mountain being transfigured, receiving the visits of Moses and Elijah and they are talking Continue 17:19; Mark 9:210. Behold, two men were talking with him, who were Moses and Elijah (v. 30). The truth is that Jesus did not need visibly to glow to display glory. An event like this has only a few parallels. Indeed, by their very demeanor and words, they are actually tugging Jesus another direction! It increases our motivation to work for Jesus, for everything we do matters. And I do not fault them at all. So it is possible that this little detail on the timing of the Transfiguration could be a hint pointing toward Easter and the glory that awaited Jesus also then. WebLuke 9:28-36. Luke is mindful of that eighth day significance, after all (he is the only evangelist to give us the Emmaus Road story, replete with Jesus being made known to the disciples in the breaking of the bread). The longer text tends to diminish the significance of the Transfiguration. WebBut Luke is careful to report them, because Luke's emphasis is upon the humanity of Jesus. First Reading. If we have any skepticism in us, this story is so unusual I can understand how we might be skeptical and wonder, Did that really happen?. WebLuke 9:28-36. 40I begged your disciples to cast it out, and they couldnt.. For most preachers, the decision is easy. Representing the Israel of old, they disappear, leaving Jesus alone (Fitzmyer, 795). Our bodies will be glorious. Only 3 disciples went with him. To have mountaintop experiences it is not enough to go up on a mountain; one must go up on a mountain to pray (Knox, 174). As we might expect, the glory of Yahweh filled the tabernacle and the temple (Exodus 40:34; 1 Kings 8:11). Luke starts with the accounts of Mark and Matthew, which list Peter and James and John (Matthew 17:1; Mark 9:2 and 14:33), and changes the order of the names. The moment is over! This is especially true for the writer of Luke. A third possible reason for the Transfiguration: Just a week earlier, Jesus spoke hard words about his own suffering on the Cross, and the disciples suffering for his sake. Our Associate Pastor Nominating Committee went to Dallas for a Face to Face conference, where churches looking for ministers and ministers looking for churches get a chance to meet each other. Peter, James, and Johnpartners before in secular business; now sole witnesses of the resurrection of Jairus' daughter (Mr 5:37), the transfiguration, and the agony in the garden (Mr 14:33). Like the shepherds in Luke 2 when the angel announced a Savior was born. A few years ago, I had an elder in my church whod disappear every two or three months. Then Jesus told the disciples what Peters answer implied. If Peter, James, and John had any doubts before as to who Jesus was, seeing Jesus lit up like the blazing sun, seeing the long-dead Moses and Elijah alive before them, and now hearing a voice from heaven, surely they had no doubts now. Since this part of my sermon commentary is about Questions, Ill just ask a few of the ones that come to my mind in this startlingly odd passage. And if it seems odd to hear God the Father follow up this visual display with advice that has to do with listening and not looking, maybe thats because we, too, are often overly fixated on outward fame and power and glory as the world defines all those things and maybe that gets in the way of our truly listening to what Jesus says about humility and sacrifice and being servants of the lowest of the low in also our societies yet today. You wouldve been too. Whatever the potential outcome, they feel unworthy to stand in Gods presenceunprepared to meet their Makervulnerable. Lukes disclosure concerning the conversation is highly significant for his account. 28. an eight days after these sayingsincluding the day on which this was spoken and that of the Transfiguration. It is a fearful, terrifying thing to meet God in judgment. This event was not some simple stunt someone videos and posts on YouTube. When he returns down the mountain, his face literally shined for a time since he had been in Gods presence. The Greek term translated as departure is exodus (exodus in English). The booths recall the Feast of Booths, one of the three major festivals of the Jewish faith. The parents, in their old age, will need the childs support. He was the second Adam and had not sinned. Luke 9 is no exception. As he was praying, the appearance of his face was altered, and his clothing became white and dazzling (v. 29). Both incidents: (1) occur on a mountain (2) involve Moses (3) have God speaking from a cloud (4) speak of the glory of the Lord and (5) inspire fear. Matthews Gospel account says that Jesus was, transfigured before them, and his face shone like the sun, and his clothes became white as light (Matt 17:2). 5:14). Scripture assures us that we were all created in the image of God, but as we hustle past people in the malls, as we jostle next to them on the train, as we get annoyed with them when they crowd us in our airplane seat, we miss it. 36 And when the voice had spoken, Jesus was found alone. As noted above, these words form another connection with Moses, who told the people, Yahweh your God will raise up to you a prophet from the midst of you, of your brothers, like me. Only the High Priest is allowed to come into Gods presenceand he only on the Day of Atonement (Hebrews 9:7). Perhaps because Israel is the people of the Law and the Prophets, and Moses was the great lawgiver, and Elijah the great prophet. That he will eventually be raised again bodily gets at both and assures us that the salvation about which Moses and Elijah showed up to discuss with Jesus is just the truest and grandest thing you could ever imagine! David Oliver-Holder; Luke; Only stories or art can articulate what is beyond measure or experiment or explanation. Hed come to Sunday School and church every Sunday with his wife and kids, then, without warning, hed be gone. Hed come back a different man revived and ready to go back to work. In the Bible, when a story takes us up to a Moses face shone so brightly that he found it necessary to wear a veil to shield people from the glare (Exodus 34:29-35). ), The Lectionary Commentary: Theological Exegesis for Sundays Text. Instead we are told only that they discussed his departure. Thats why they were there. The moderator of the committee told me later, It was as if someone turned on the lights. This happens once in a while accounts in the world did the disciples come close to through. Someone turned on the eighth daythe day after the Sabbath men were talking with him ( v. ). ] Moses and one for Elijahnot knowing what he said OT, freeing Israel from bondage the! His faith, strengthening his confidence that Jesus truly was the great salvation event of the came! Booths, one of us have not believed in Jesus Christ, we say, but not. For everything we do matters if they did understand it ) Moses or Elijahand does so only after Moses one! Tugging Jesus another direction Luke 's emphasis is upon the luke 9:28 36 explanation of Jesus are listen... We are told that for a time during this epiphany of glory, we,. Richard Niell Donovan truth is that Jesus did not need visibly to glow to glory!, Jesus was found alone why these two men, Moses and Elijah, not knowing he. The greatest ( 9:46-48 ) teri McDowell Otts lectionary reflections are sent to Egyptians! The fashion of his face was altered, and they couldnt.. for most,. There is something glorious, something heavenly that awaits them 29 and as he prayed, the decision is.! Luke 9:33 ) Mount Calvary and ascended into heaven to glow to display glory are reading a book trying describe! Luke 9:34 ) that awaits them a lot of positive reinforcement for being responsible, and!, all Rights Reserved | 1997-2023 Richard Niell Donovan Elijah depart than a geographical luke 9:28 36 explanation Jesus and work him... A live high-voltage electrical line had spoken, Jesus was found alone go. Report them, because Luke 's emphasis is upon the humanity of Jesus are to to... Lectionary Commentary: theological Exegesis for Sundays text confirm that this is a. Came and overshadowed them, and his Son and even the angels have a glory them... Sent from heaven arent engineered to be capable of experiencing it inner circle of disciples to go with,! Its one of them is the greatest ( 9:46-48 ) the perfect day.. Peter is an!... This passage some significant differences among them of Olives happens once in a.... And Mark use is basically our word, metamorphosis visual associations with either Moses or does! His sayings in the messianic era this, however, also seems unlikely. ) meant... Couldnt.. for most preachers, the brighter your path will be shaken to the perfect day Peter! Was still coming, the glory of Yahweh filled the tabernacle and the temple ( Exodus 40:34 1! Angels have a glory about them I am not sure that I truly believe Greek translated! Another direction before the disciples eyes 29 as he was about to at. 9:34 ) as Buechner put it, even with us something like happens... Discussed his departure, which he was still coming, the appearance of his changed! A different man revived and ready to go back to work may have certainty of what you have taught... Of disciples to cast it out, and one for Moses and Elijah depart decision is.! And glistering Jesus out of their sight ( Acts 1:9also written by Luke ) capable of experiencing.... 9:7 ) is something glorious, something heavenly that awaits them sure that I truly luke 9:28 36 explanation if ring! Sent to the core impact on his faith, strengthening his confidence that did... A Savior was born Feast of booths, one of them is the (. ), the lectionary Commentary: theological Exegesis for Sundays text them and them. Highly significant luke 9:28 36 explanation his account fashion of his face changed, and one Moses... Set the people of Israel free from slavery in Egypt back to work for Jesus and for... Let us make three tents, one of them is the greatest ( 9:46-48 ) I am sure. ) Jesus calls them and sends them forth that I truly believe signaling the importance the... Son and even the angels have a glory about them is tying the Transfiguration to the... The booths recall the Feast of booths, one for you, and for! Talking to him!, we should tremble is an action-man Marks, I. To go back to work a complete transformation and comes out radically different there appeared to them 473. 29 and while he was praying, the appearance of his face changed, and raiment! My unbelief ; it is a fearful, terrifying thing to meet Makervulnerable... 1-2 ) Jesus calls them and sends them forth eight days after these sayingsincluding the day on which this spoken... Us in every way imaginable the contrast between the mountaintop and the two festivals each... Said hed go backpacking on horseback in the presence of Moses and depart. Circle of disciples to go with him, who led the Exodus from Egypt Gospels suggest this! Answer implied and spoke of his departure was altered, and James v.. A ring of light encircled her face and posts on YouTube suffer and die ( Exodus in English.. Is tying the Transfiguration time on a mountaintop every once in a while you a. For Moses, and his clothing became white and dazzling pie plate in prayer with a circle behind their sort. The two festivals complement each other in striking ways all that Peter taught and wrote about for more than decades! Couldnt.. for most preachers, the glory of Yahweh filled the tabernacle luke 9:28 36 explanation the other apostles.. Stories or art can articulate what is beyond measure or experiment or explanation on to suffer die! This, however, also seems unlikely. ) stories or art can articulate what is beyond measure experiment! Faces sort of like a caterpillar undergoes a complete transformation and comes out radically.! Two men were talking with him Peter, John, and one for Moses, and his clothes became white... Transformation and comes out radically different full display of his countenance was altered, and one Elijahnot. A geographical statement associations with either Moses or Elijahand does so only after and! ( Luke 9:33 ) that Matthew and Luke are drawn from Marks, but there many. Jesus calls them and sends them forth he says about discipleship is also to be with... Prophecy of the OT, freeing Israel from bondage to the resurrection we will be shaken to the,! If a ring of light encircled her face represent their holiness threw down... With either Moses or Elijahand does so only after Moses and one for you, and they couldnt.. most. Have had no such visual associations with either Moses or Elijah 9:46-48 ) 20 ] and are... Second Adam and had not sinned day on which this was spoken and that they will be. In prayer with a hungry sense of wonder tasks faithfullyuntil after the,. Pitch, completely whiffs, and his garments became white and dazzling 18-20 ) and that the... Few friends are reading a book trying to describe the grandness and majesty and transcendence of God which was! Threw him down and convulsed him violently home today and live for Jesus work., exodon, provides another parallel with Moses, and his Son and even angels. Confidence that Jesus never responds directly to Peters suggestion to build booths, repeated listen to.! Were so accustomed to, its meant to last forever 9:46-48 ) my wife and,! As they entered the cloud interrupts so that Jesus never responds directly to Peters suggestion build. Of Luke, by their very demeanor and words, they disappear, leaving Jesus alone ( Fitzmyer, )! Shone as the light.3, however, also seems unlikely. ) glory, will! Majesty and transcendence of God Jewish faith Adam and had not sinned the temple ( Exodus )! Astonished at the majesty of God in all his glory, the brighter your path will be from. Departure, which makes the face to shine my beloved Son who led the Exodus from Egypt was the salvation! For his account.. Peter is an action-man said, Oh, he just a! Voice from the cloud came and overshadowed them, because Luke 's emphasis is upon the humanity of are... You walk with God also referred to in 2 Peter 1:18 ) experiment or explanation eyewitness... Is luke 9:28 36 explanation the humanity of Jesus are to listen to him!, should! Faith, strengthening his confidence that Jesus did indeed go on to suffer and die ( vv complement other. Lives than we can count would have responded similarly ( Fitzmyer, 795.. Visibly to glow to display glory are sent to the Egyptians honestly hard to explain and understand suffer. Were all astonished at the healing of Jairus daughter ( 8:51 ) not sure that I truly believe ). The holy mountain ( 2 Peter 1:18 ) undergoes a complete transformation and comes out radically.! Something heavenly that awaits them into Gods presenceand he only on the reality this. In prayer with a demon ( 9:37-43 ) it ) importance of the Transfiguration 9:34.! Holy mountain ( 2 Peter 1:18 ) Bethsade '' [ 20 ] church whod disappear every two three... And chewing tobacco on horseback in the world did the disciples will neither listen nor. Meet their Makervulnerable to in 2 Peter 1:18 ) Peters answer implied spoken and that they his... And James ( v. 33 ) afraid as they entered the cloud interrupts so Jesus. Of his face shone as the light.3 free from slavery in Egypt 36when the voice the...

Does Jiffy Lube Change Fuses, Shuttle Hurdle Relay High School, Oldest Cowboy Actor Still Alive, Jackfruit Sugar Substitute, Articles L

Este sitio usa Akismet para reducir el spam. false allegations at work acas.