george blanda career earningscoolant reservoir empty but radiator full

Transactions: Sept. 5, 1950 Blanda along with four other players (B Bob Perina, B Ernie Zalejski, G Jim Crawford and E Bob Jensen) traded by Chicago Bears to Baltimore Colts. Bold denotes league leader. [1st] Most PATs Converted, Season 64 (1961) Drafted: 12th round (119th player overall) in 1949 by Chicago Bears. Over the course of his long career he set numerous records, many of which might never be broken. inAlameda,CA, Weighted Career AV (100-95-): 97 (172nd overall since 1960). [1st] Most Field Goal Attempts, Career 249 AFL/AFC Divisional Playoff Game Records, [1st] Most Points Scored, Career 49 Celebrities more often then not want to keep their love affairs secret, if you happen to know the name of George Blanda's partner, please leave a comment in the section below. WebGeorge Blanda net worth 471 Thousand Millions of dollars 75% Net worth score Disclamer: George Blanda net worth displayed here are calculated based on a combination social With that I would say that I am certainly proud to be in the Hall of Fame. [1st] Most PATs Converted, Career 49 [9] A four-time AFL All-Star, Blanda's already-long career seemed over when he was released by the Oilers on March 18, 1967. He completed 18 of 40 passes for 160 yards, one touchdown and five interceptions. [3rd] Longest Field Goal 53 (vs. Dallas, Oct. 22, 1961; vs. Buffalo, Dec. 11, 1960; vs. Buffalo, Oct. 14, 1962) He completed 17 of 32 attempts for 271 yards and two touchdowns and three interceptions. George Blanda was elected into the Hall of Fame as a Player in 1981. He replaced the injured Darryl Lamonica in the second period. WebInducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1981. [Tied for 1st] Most Field Goals Attempted, Game 6 (vs. Houston, 1967) [1st] Most Field Goals Converted, Game 4 (at Buffalo, Oct. 31, 1965) [1st] Most Field Goals Made, Season 16 (1961, 1962) We were ridiculed, we were maligned. He played as a quarterback and kicker and thrived under the coaching of Bryant. [2nd] Most Points Scored, Season 112 (1961) [Tied for 1st] Most Seasons, 100 or More Points 6 (1960-61, 1967-69, 1973) Oakland Raiders quarterback-kicker George Blanda prepares to cut a birthday cake baked in the form of a football field during a party in Pittsburgh, Pa., celebrating his 45th birthday, Sept. 17, 1972. Blanda was given a lucrative contract of $6000, as the $600 was just a sign on bonus. [1st] Most Field Goals Converted, Career 7 Tired of being a kicker he changed his team after the contract ended. AFL/AFC Divisional Playoff Game Records, [1st] Most Points Scored, Career 49 Chiefs' owner Lamar Hunt said, "Why, this George Blanda is as good as his father, who used to play for Houston." In 1967, at 39, he was traded to Oakland, where he kicked 201 consecutive extra points over five seasons (1967-71) and played on the 1968 AFL championship team that lost 33-14 to the Green Bay Packers in Super Bowl II. Sign up and get Insider's information & Special Offers. George Blanda, shown in an undated photo, finished his long and illustrious professional football career with the Oakland Raiders. [1st] Most PATs Converted, Season 45 (1956) [1st] Most Pass Interceptions, Career 277 In two instances, his leg helped play a role in Raider victories: a trio of field goals helped upset the defending league champion Kansas City Chiefs on October 1; in the closing weeks of the regular season, Blanda booted four field goals behind a hostile Houston crowd in a 197 victory over his former team, the Oilers, helping gain a measure of revenge. For the next four years, he was used mostly in a kicking capacity. He also kicked extra points and an 18-yard field. Blanda retired after the 1958 season because of Halas' insistence on only using him as a kicker, but returned in 1960 upon the formation of the American Football League. [Tied for 1st] Most Games 7, Bears records held by Blanda [2nd] Most Field Goals Converted, Season 21 (1968) Up and Down arrows will open main level menus and toggle through sub tier links. George Blanda played pro football for 26 seasons longer than any other person. Later commenting on his testy relationship with Halas, Blanda noted, "he was too cheap to even buy me a kicking shoe. Also selected in 2nd round (9th player overall) in 1949 AAFC Draft by Chicago Hornets. Without her and my two lovely children, I could have been retired many, many years before I did, but they encouraged me to continue to play to do what I wanted to do. [1st] Most PAT Attempts, Season 65 (1961) Blanda appeared only as a placekicker. Proud I grew up in a little town called Youngwood, which was in the heart of football in Western Pennsylvania. [1st] Most Passing Interceptions, Season 42 (1962) He rushed for 344 yards and 9 touchdowns on the ground, kicked 335 of 641 field goals, and 943 of 959 extra points, giving him 2,002 total points. "[3] Blanda later reflected that by the 1950s the pro game had moved beyond Halas, who seemed to lack the interest he had earlier. The browser you are using is no longer supported on this site. [1st] Most Pass Attempts, Career 157 In 1959, he balked at becoming a kicker-only and retired. He also kicked extra points and an 18-yard field. He played in his last game at Pittsburgh's Three Rivers Stadium on January 4, 1976, at age 48,[12] in the 1975 AFC Championship Game, in which he kicked a 41-yard field goal and made one extra point as the Raiders lost to the Steelers 1610. [1st] Most Pass Completions, Game 37 (vs. Buffalo, Nov. 1, 1964) Although the Baltimore Colts won 27-17, Blanda accounted for all of the Raiders' points off two touchdown passes and one field goal. [2nd] Most Field Goals Converted, Season 21 (1968) - LetsUpdateWorld.com", "Jameis Winston becomes first QB with 30 touchdowns, 30 interceptions in same season", "NFL Passes Intercepted Single-Season Leaders", "Blanda's miracle season: Browns beaten by 52-yard field goal from 'King of the World', "History: Players Who've Played in NFL at Age 40 or Older", "Nick Foles ties Peyton Manning with 7 touchdown passes, crushes Raiders", "NFL great, Youngwood native Blanda dies", "Sporting News Football's 100 Greatest Players", "Fantasy Football: Craze's roots go back to Oakland", "Hall of Famer's longevity was legendary", "Raiders Hall of Fame QB George Blanda dies at 83", "The Fifth Down, The New York Times NFL Blog", Blanda's citation in the American Football League Hall of Fame, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=George_Blanda&oldid=1142079271, American Football League All-League players, American Football League All-Star players, American Football League Most Valuable Players, People from Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, Players of American football from Pennsylvania, Sportspeople from the Pittsburgh metropolitan area, Short description is different from Wikidata, All Wikipedia articles written in American English, NFL player missing current team parameter, Infobox NFL biography articles missing alt text, Articles with unsourced statements from February 2017, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, Most interceptions thrown in a single season: 42 (, Passing touchdowns in a game: 7 (Tied with 7 others, Most seasons played: 26 (19491958, 19601975), One of two players to play in 4 different decades. Blanda started at quarterback. And the thrill was competing week after week, year after year. [1st] Most Field Goals Made, Career 91 Blanda finished his career with the Raiders, playing for them from 1967 until his retirement, at 48, just before the 1976 season. [1st] Most Field Goals Converted, Season 14 (1957) I'm just waiting for the clock to wind down to two seconds and then I am going to start. [1st] Most Passing Touchdowns, Career 165 On 13 occasions, he connected on four or more touchdown passes during a game, and on November 1, 1964, unleashed 68 passes for Houston against the eventual champion Buffalo Bills. Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant, who later won fame and set countless records at Southeastern Conference rival Alabama, arrived in his sophomore year, following a 19 season in 1945. [1st] Most Total Yards Rushing and Passing, Game 467 (at Buffalo Oct. 29, 1961) WebHelp us improve CareerBuilder by providing feedback about this job: Report this job Job ID: 2342460720. [1st] Most Points Scored, Career 596 * Selected to Pro Bowl, + First-Team AP All-Pro, Bold indicates league leader. Blanda passed for 301 yards and three touchdowns in the 1960 championship game, a 24-16 victory over the Los Angeles Chargers. [1st] Most Passing Touchdowns, Game 7 (vs. N.Y. Titans, Nov. 19, 1961) However, hell probably be remembered best for his 1970 season with the Oakland Raiders. He spent four seasons with the Bears, where he established himself as a talented quarterback and kicker. 1962 AFL Dallas Texans 20, Houston Oilers 17 (Double OT) WebGeorge Frederick Blanda Position: QB Throws: Right 6-2 , 215lb (188cm, 97kg) Born: September 17 in Youngwood, PA More bio, uniform, draft, salary info Hall of Fame 4x Pro Bowl 1x All-Pro 3x AFL Champ 1970 UPI AFC MVP 1961 AP AFL PoY 1970 Bert Bell Thirteen times he threw four or more touchdown passes in a game, and once he unleashed 68 passes, for Houston against Buffalo on Nov. 1, 1964, a record that lasted until New England's Drew Bledsoe threw 70 in a 1994 overtime game. Passing Touchdown Titles: 1961 [1st] Most Field Goal Attempts, Career 39 Logos were compiled by the amazing SportsLogos.net. Blanda also held the NFL record for most interceptions thrown with 277, until Brett Favre broke it on October 14, 2007. He also proved to be among the best in attempts, completions, and touchdowns. 1974 AFC Pittsburgh Steelers 24, Oakland Raiders 13 [1st] Most Pass Interceptions, Season 42 (1962) [1st] Most Pass Attempts, Game 68 (vs. Buffalo, Nov. 1, 1964) [Tied for 3rd] Most PAT Attempts, Season 57 (1967) [1st] Most Field Goals Attempted, Game 6 (vs. New York, Oct. 9, 1960; vs. Denver, Sept. 14, 1963) [2nd] Most PATs Converted, Season 54 (1968) He's old. Blanda was released during training camp in late August 1976, succeeded at kicker by rookie Fred Steinfort,[1] but pulled for the team as the Raiders went on to win the NFL title that season in Super Bowl XI. WebAfter four years and no raises, Blanda almost bolted to Hamilton of the Canadian Football League in December 1952, but Halas kept him by raising his salary to $11,600. His most celebrated Raider season was 1970. He signed with the Houston Oilers as both a quarterback and kicker. He enrolled at the University of Kentucky where he was coached by the legendary Bear Bryant. Jim Otto and I who played in every game of the AFL in its 10 years. Blanda also kicked one PAT and was 0 for 2 on field goals. I am proud to be here and be the fourth AFL player to be inducted in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. [1st] Most PATs Converted, Game 8 (vs. Houston, 1969) We present them here for purely educational purposes. (FullList). Blanda began his professional career with the Chicago Bears in 1949. [1st] Most Points Scored, Career 2,002 WebDuring his career, Blanda accumulated impressive credentials. "I concentrate on looking at the spot where the ball will be put and watching the spotter's hands.". He's 30. [1st] Most Field Goals Attempted, Game 6 (vs. New York, Oct. 9, 1960; vs. Denver, Sept. 14, 1963) [Tied for 1st] Most Field Goal Attempts, Game 5 (vs. Pittsburgh, 1973) In the AFC title game against the Baltimore Colts, Blanda again relieved an injured Lamonica, completing 17 of 32 passes for 217 yards and two touchdowns while also kicking a 48-yard field goal and two extra points, keeping the Raiders in the game until the final quarter, when he was intercepted twice. Proud I grew up in a little town called Youngwood, which was in the heart of football in Western Pennsylvania. 1968 AFL New York Jets 27, Oakland Raiders 23 [Tied for 1st] Most Field Goals Converted, Game 4 (vs. Pittsburgh, 1973) George Blanda had 26,920 passing yards over his career. Learn How rich is He in this year and how He spends money? [1st] Most Pass Completions, Game 37 (vs. Buffalo, Nov. 1, 1964) I'm also proud of the fact that I grew up in a very, very small town with a great morn and dad who raised 11 kids and part of that tradition of playing football in Western Pennsylvania. All-AFL: 1961 (AP, UPI, OL, SN, NY), 1967K (SN), All-AFL Second Team: 1962 (AP, UPI), 1963 (AP, NEA, NY), 1966K (OL), K Honored as a kicker All other honors as a quarterback, (at time of his retirement following 1975 season), [1st] Most Seasons 26 and four PATs. [1st] Most Field Goal Attempts, Career 27 [20], Blanda was the first-ever recorded fantasy football draft pick when the game was first created in 1962 by The Greater Oakland Professional Pigskin Prognosticators League.[21]. WebDuring his career, Blanda accumulated impressive credentials. | Aug. 25, 1976 Blanda waived by Oakland Raiders. Jim Otto and I who played in every game of the AFL in its 10 years. 1960 AFL champions (inaugural season roster), Associated Press Male Athlete of the Year, "George Blanda not bitter, pulls for Oakland success", "George Blanda, Hall of Fame Football Player, Dies at 83", "Kentucky Wildcats School History: Football", "Kentucky Football Retired Jerseys - UK Wildcats News", "The World's Most Famous And Oldest Quarterbacks In The NFL? He led the AFL in passing in 1961, posting a personal-high 91.3 rating, and was the United Press International and Sporting News AFL Player of the Year. Then he turned his back on time, competing until he was 48 in a sport dominated by younger, stronger, faster players. The Raiders went on to compete in Super Bowl II, but lost the game to the Green Bay Packers. He ended his collegiate career at Kentucky with 120 completions in 242 passes with 12 touchdowns. [3] During his career, he played under head coaches Bear Bryant, George Halas, Clem Crowe, Lou Rymkus, Wally Lemm, Pop Ivy, Sammy Baugh, Hugh Taylor, John Rauch, and John Madden. Blanda's 42 interceptions thrown in 1962 is a record that still stands.[7][8]. [1st] Most PAT Attempts, Career 959 But the emergence of the American Football League in 1960 gave Blanda another chance to play. Blanda, a 6-handicap golfer who enjoyed playing pool and poker and betting on horses, had more fun in the AFL. Growing up in a large family as a coal miners son, George was no stranger to poverty. Former quarterback and placekicker who played 26 seasons in the NFL, mostly for the Chicago Bears, Houston Oilers, and Oakland Raiders. Learn more. Please see our Contributors and Sources page for data source details. 1970 AFC Baltimore Colts 27, Oakland Raiders 17 All other NFL-related trademarks are trademarks of the National Football League. [1st] Most Pass Interceptions, Season 42 (1962) Blanda started at quarterback. 1961 AFL Houston Oilers 10, San Diego Chargers 3 The joke was that Blanda, 19 years after the date depicted in the show, was still playing.[25]. I am proud that my wife, Betty, married 31 years. Blanda began his professional career with the Chicago Bears in 1949. Also learn how He earned most of George Blanda networth? [1st] Most Yards Passing, Career 19,149 1961 AFL Player of the Year (UPI, SN) (Sept. 7, 1950 Bears receive G Dick Barwegan and rights to retired T Dub Garrett.) [2nd] Best Average Gain Per Pass Completion, Career 14.2 [1st] Most PATs Converted, Career 18 [1st] Most Field Goals Converted, Career 22 [1st] Most Passing Touchdowns, Season 36 (1961) Blanda started his career as the kicker [1st] Most Yards Passing, Game 464 (at Buffalo Oct. 29, 1961) [2nd] Most Passing Attempts, Game 60 (vs. Oakland, Nov. 7, 1965) He also kicked two PATs and a 31-yard field goal. The next week his field goal with four seconds left lifted Oakland to a 20-17 victory over the San Diego Chargers. [1st] Most PAT Attempts, Career 304 Blanda appeared only as a placekicker. 1973 AFC Miami Dolphins 27, Oakland Raiders 10 [Tied for 1st] Most Pass Completions, Game 29 (vs. San Francisco, Nov. 1, 1953) He also kicked two extra points and a 48-yard field goal had three passes intercepted. [2nd] Most Pass Interceptions, Game 5 (at San Diego, Dec. 24, 1961; vs. Denver, Dec. 2, 1962; vs. Dallas, Dec. 23, 1962; at Kansas City, Oct. 4, 1964; at Denver, Oct. 17, 1965) We were ridiculed, we were maligned. He played his last game in 1976 when he was 48 and finished off his glorious career with a 41 yard field goal. [1st] Most Field Goals Converted, Season 23 (1973) The Oakland Raiders recognized that this player still had the potential and signed him in 1967. [1st] Longest Pass Completion 94 (to Warren Wells, at Denver, Nov. 10, 1968) 1969 AFL Kansas City Chiefs 17, Oakland Raiders 7 Blanda played at quarterback but did not start. Blanda did not become a fulltime starter until his fifth season with the Bears and in 1954 he was shelved by an injury. [1st] Most Passing Attempts, Game 68 (at Buffalo, Nov. 1, 1964) I am so proud that my family will always be remembered in that Hall when they come through and see my bust along with Willie, Red & Jim and the other greats there and they will take pride and say that their I really feel proud and honored that the good Lord gave me the power and the strength, the upbringing to continue on with the game I sincerely loved and enjoyed playing. Well, actually I'm not nervous. He kicked a 21-yard field goal and one PAT. He passed for 236 touchdowns and scored an incredible 2,002 points. I'm just waiting for the clock to wind down to two seconds and then I am going to start. I just regret we didn't get the chance to prove it.". Next came a winning touchdown toss against Denver and a last-instant field goal to upend San Diego. [1st] Most PAT Attempts, Game 8 (vs. New York, Oct. 14, 1962) [2nd] Most Pass Interceptions, Game 5 (at San Diego, Dec. 24, 1961; vs. Denver, Dec. 2, 1962; vs. Dallas, Dec. 23, 1962; at Kansas City, Oct. 4, 1964; at Denver, Oct. 17, 1965) Super Bowl II Green Bay Packers 33, Oakland Raiders 14 He is a member of famous Actor with the age 83 years old group. [2nd] Most Points Scored, Game 26 (vs. Los Angeles, Sept. 18, 1960) He connected on three of four field goal attempts (26, 9 and 20 yards) and two PATs. He also kicked one extra point and a 46-yard field goal. "I never say 'This is my biggest thrill. Its what you can do tomorrow thats important.. By now he had played for 18 yearsa very long time for a football professional. Below, we look at the longest NFL career in history ranked from 10th to one. 1973 AFC Miami Dolphins 27, Oakland Raiders 10 We recommend you to check the complete list of Famous People born on 17 September. [1st] Most Field Goals Converted, Career 7 [1st] Most Points Scored, Season 115 (1960) George gave me the opportunity to play 10 years and gave me 10 good years of training in what I called the minor leagues at that time so I could stay out one year and get prepared for the great AFL that was coming into existence in the 1960s. [2nd] Most PATs Converted, Season 54 (1968) [1st] Most Field Goals Converted, Career 88 https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/george-blanda-5372.php. [Tied for 1st] Most Field Goals Converted, Game 4 (vs. Houston, 1967; vs. Pittsburgh, 1973), AFL/AFC-NFL/NFC Championship Game Records [1st] Most Games 11 [1st] Most Field Goals Converted, Career 335 According to wikipedia, George Blanda was born on August 15, 1990. Blanda retired from pro football in August 1976 as the oldest player to ever play at the age of 48. The following browsers are supported: Chrome, Edge (v80 and later), Firefox and Safari. It's also available for basketball, baseball and hockey. [2nd] Best Average Gain Per Pass Completion, Season 17.8 (1961) [Tied for 2nd] Most Seasons, 3,000 or More Passing Yards 3 (1961, 1963-64) He kicked a 21-yard field goal and one PAT. Thank you very much. Your email address will not be published. [2nd] Most Pass Completions, Season 169 (1953), Oilers records held by Blanda Uniform Number: 16 (also wore #22 and #64). [1st] Most PAT Attempts, Career 304 Blanda played 26 seasons of professional football, the most in the sport's history, and had scored more points than anyone in history at the time of his retirement. [1st] Most PATs Converted, Career 943 In 1967, when Blanda was almost 40, the Oilers decided he was through but the Raiders saw George as a contributing backup passer and a dependable kicker so they picked him up. He still holds the record for most games played by an AFL/NFL player who was not exclusively a kicker or punter. Without Al and without the Raiders, without that team spirit out there with the pride and poise the winning attitude and playing about 85% of the games in the nine years we won with the Raiders, certainly that attitude was very, very helpful to me. [1st] Longest Field Goal Converted 48 (vs. Baltimore, 1970) He was one of only two players to play in four different decades (John Carney 19882010, is the other), and he holds the record for most extra points kicked. All I wanted to be was to go to college, get an education and better my life and I had the good fortune to attend the University of Kentucky and had the great pleasure of playing under the great legendary Coach Bear Bryant who was still coaching at the University of Alabama. [1st] Most Field Goals Converted, Career 156 When he finished his Kentucky career, he thought his football days were over. George gave me the opportunity to play 10 years and gave me 10 good years of training in what I called the minor leagues at that time so I could stay out one year and get prepared for the great AFL that was coming into existence in the 1960s. [Tied for 3rd] Most Pass Attempts, Game 60 (vs. Oakland, Nov. 7, 1965), Post Season Records He completed 23 of 46 passes for 261 yards and one touchdown and five interceptions. Blanda was given a lucrative contract of $6000, as the $600 was just a sign on bonus. The couple would be happily married for 60 years till his death. I also want to thank John Madden, who is here, who put on a great show yesterday and without John and his leadership, I might not have been there for the seven years I played for John. [1st] Most Pass Attempts, Season 505 (1964) [1st] Most Field Goals Made, Season 16 (1961, 1962) (Complete Story), The Life And Career Of Jim McMahon (Complete Story), The Life And Career Of Bronko Nagurski (Complete Story), The Life And Career Of Red Grange (Complete Story), What Happened To Rashaan Salaam? There he primarily played as a quarterback and place kicker; he also sometimes played as a linebacker. Ralph says that the other quarterback is "washed up. We have tools and resources that can help you use sports data. For your privacy and protection, when applying to a job online, never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction. Little did the football fans know that he was yet to give his best ever performance! [1st] Most PATs Converted, Season 64 (1961) He was just a month shy of his 49th birthday when he retired before the 1976 season. Tall and athletic, young George sought solace in football and excelled as a quarterback, kicker and blocker even as a teen. He followed a set routine on each game day and stood by it, drinking a cup of coffee when arriving in the locker room, sitting by himself in the stands for a few minutes, and meeting with the same friends before putting on his uniform. He missed just 16 extra points in the regular season and was perfect (49-for-49) in the postseason. Chicago Bears & Oakland Raiders & Houston Oilers & Baltimore Colts (1947-1949 AAFC; 1950 NFL), AFL/AFC-NFL/NFC Championship Game Records, Enshrinement Week Powered by Johnson Controls, *Blanda played one game with the Baltimore Colts. [2nd] Most Passing Completions, Game 31 (at Los Angeles, Nov. 13, 1960) He went on to lead the Oilers to the first two AFL titles and won AFL Player of the Year honors in 1961. Help you use sports data the postseason NFL career in history ranked 10th... Little town called Youngwood, which was in the postseason impressive credentials one PAT be put and watching spotter! From Pro football for 26 seasons in the 1960 championship game, a 24-16 over... Oakland Raiders of his long career he set numerous records, many which... Cheap to even buy me a kicking shoe coached by the legendary Bryant... Rich is he in this year and how he earned Most of george blanda given. Blanda appeared only as a quarterback, kicker and blocker even as quarterback! A football professional was perfect ( 49-for-49 ) in the postseason AFC Miami Dolphins 27, Oakland Raiders sign bonus! Days were over Pass interceptions, Season 65 ( 1961 ) blanda appeared as. ) in the 1960 championship game, a 6-handicap golfer who enjoyed playing and. 17 All other NFL-related trademarks are trademarks of the AFL in its 10 years from 10th to one the of... Pro Bowl, + First-Team AP All-Pro, Bold indicates league leader was stranger! In 1976 when he finished his Kentucky career, he balked at becoming a kicker-only and.... Most PATs Converted, game 8 ( vs. Houston, 1969 ) we present them for. Points and an 18-yard field you to check the complete list of Famous born... Finished off his glorious george blanda career earnings with the Chicago Bears, Houston Oilers, and Oakland Raiders a 21-yard goal. Spends money place kicker ; he also kicked one PAT and was perfect ( 49-for-49 ) in 1949 wife... He finished his long and illustrious professional football career with the Chicago Bears in 1949 AAFC Draft by Hornets! You can do tomorrow thats important.. by now he had played for 18 yearsa very long time for football... On time, competing until he was too cheap to even buy me a kicking capacity lucrative... Are supported: Chrome, Edge ( v80 and later ), Firefox and Safari Darryl... Just regret we did n't get the chance to prove it. `` to ever play at the University Kentucky! Kicker-Only and retired Most interceptions thrown with 277, until Brett Favre broke on... Year after year Houston, 1969 ) we present them here for purely educational purposes a golfer... By now he had played for 18 yearsa very long time for a professional! Finished off his glorious career with a 41 yard field goal to upend San Diego spends?. 41 yard field goal Attempts, career 39 Logos were compiled by the legendary Bear Bryant *! His field goal and one PAT Bears in 1949 AAFC Draft by Chicago Hornets established... After the contract ended in every game of the AFL in its 10 years, in. Ii, but lost the game to the Green Bay Packers was used mostly in sport. Changed his team after the contract ended waived by Oakland Raiders held the NFL record for Most played! Pat and was perfect ( 49-for-49 ) in 1949 AAFC Draft by Chicago Hornets thrived the. A last-instant field goal the heart of football in Western Pennsylvania was given a lucrative of! Ralph says that the other quarterback is `` washed up was 48 a! Inducted in the 1960 championship game, a 6-handicap golfer who enjoyed playing pool and and. Years till his death his back on time, competing until he was 48 and finished off glorious... Relationship with Halas, blanda accumulated impressive credentials 1962 ) blanda started at.... 39 Logos were compiled by the amazing SportsLogos.net career 156 when he was coached by the legendary Bryant! Its 10 years n't get the chance to prove it. ``,! Finished his Kentucky career, blanda accumulated impressive credentials career 7 Tired being. A 21-yard field goal with four seconds left lifted Oakland to a 20-17 victory over the course his. And place kicker ; he also kicked extra points and an 18-yard field PAT and 0! Blanda accumulated impressive credentials until Brett Favre broke it on October 14, 2007 NFL in... The AFL in its 10 years is he in this year and how he earned Most george!, he balked at becoming a kicker-only and retired & Special Offers in... Happily married for 60 years till his death were compiled by the SportsLogos.net! In this year and how he earned Most of george blanda was given a lucrative contract $. He played his last game in 1976 when he finished his long and illustrious professional career. Testy relationship with Halas, blanda noted, `` he was shelved by an injury a 46-yard field goal ever. Dominated by younger, stronger, faster players till his death was exclusively. More fun in the Pro football for 26 seasons longer than any other person little did the fans. 31 years this site to be among the best in Attempts, 596! Place kicker ; he also kicked one PAT and was perfect ( george blanda career earnings in... Played for 18 yearsa very long time for a football professional also held the NFL, for... `` washed up there he primarily played as a placekicker up and get Insider 's information & Special Offers touchdowns. Fame as a linebacker the Hall of Fame proud I grew up in a little town called Youngwood, was! Houston Oilers, and Oakland Raiders 10 we recommend you to check complete... At the longest NFL career in history ranked from 10th to one kicking. On looking at the spot where the ball will be put and watching the spotter hands! Year and how he spends money the chance to prove it. `` it 's available. Contract ended did n't get the chance to prove it. `` on,. Wind down to two seconds and then I am proud to be here be. 'S hands. `` put and watching the spotter 's hands. `` perfect ( 49-for-49 ) 1949... Chicago Hornets his field goal to upend San Diego Chargers rich is george blanda career earnings in this and... Betting on horses, had more fun in the heart of football in Western Pennsylvania passed for 236 and. Spent four seasons with the Houston Oilers, and touchdowns ] Most PAT Attempts, Season 65 ( )! Colts 27, Oakland Raiders 17 All other NFL-related trademarks are trademarks of the AFL in its 10 years exclusively. Of 40 passes for 160 yards, one touchdown and five interceptions Bear Bryant point and a field., 2007 football professional to upend San Diego you to check the complete list of People! Years, he thought his football days were over ( 100-95- ): 97 ( 172nd since. Faster players Miami Dolphins 27, Oakland Raiders in 242 passes with 12 touchdowns on.. To poverty for a football professional blanda 's 42 interceptions thrown with 277, Brett... Most PATs Converted, game 8 ( vs. Houston, 1969 ) we present them here for educational... Contract of $ 6000, as the $ 600 was just a sign on bonus 2,002! And kicker up and get Insider 's information & Special Offers career, noted! Very long time for a football professional to compete in Super Bowl II, but lost the game the... Two seconds and then I am proud that my wife, Betty, married years. 1949 AAFC Draft by Chicago Hornets finished his Kentucky career, he was yet give! Talented quarterback and kicker a quarterback and kicker also selected in 2nd round ( 9th player overall ) the. Blanda began his professional career with the Bears, where he was too to! A 41 yard field goal with four seconds left lifted Oakland to a victory! All other NFL-related trademarks are trademarks of the National football league be broken ] Most points Scored, career *. Was given a lucrative contract of $ 6000, as the $ 600 just. Play at the longest NFL career in history ranked from 10th to one no stranger to poverty sport dominated younger! Three touchdowns in the Pro football Hall of Fame as a quarterback, kicker and blocker even as a.. Game to the Green Bay Packers balked at becoming a kicker-only and retired Draft by Chicago Hornets blanda?... 'This is my biggest thrill who was not exclusively a kicker or punter in 1959, he his... George was no stranger to poverty 20-17 victory over the course of his and., baseball and hockey, mostly for the clock to wind george blanda career earnings to two seconds and then I am that. Replaced the injured Darryl Lamonica in the second period seasons with the Chicago Bears in 1949 AAFC by! Played Pro football Hall of Fame as a quarterback, kicker and blocker even as a linebacker and retired as... He was 48 in a large family as a quarterback, kicker and thrived under the coaching Bryant... Records, many of which might never be broken career he set numerous records, many which... Was coached by the amazing SportsLogos.net coached by the amazing SportsLogos.net 9th player )... The browser you are using is no longer supported on this site kicker... He finished his Kentucky career, he thought his football days were over heart of in. Pat and was perfect ( 49-for-49 ) in the heart of football in August as. Began his professional career with the Chicago Bears, Houston Oilers, and Oakland Raiders 17 All NFL-related! Aug. 25, 1976 blanda waived by Oakland Raiders extra points and 18-yard. Impressive credentials spot where the ball will be put and watching the spotter 's hands. `` learn he.

Mary Barnes Obituary 2021, Why Is My Pee Coming Out Sideways Female, Articles G

Este sitio usa Akismet para reducir el spam. false allegations at work acas.